Friday, November 16, 2007

Young Buck



As I was hiking the other day, I noticed this young buck watching me. I was hefting a five pound tripod (great for any weather!) and in order to get this photo, I had to set up fast, aim, and shoot.
In the background, I could hear the blasts from hunters as they shot at their prey. The buck didn't seem that nervous, but I can't say the same. I was on a refuge, but where it ends and hunting begins is an unknown factor to me.
This was taken late in the morning and I had several branches blocking my view. On top of that I had to deal with solar spots from the sun reflecting off my lens. I've ordered a hood for my camera, but it hasn't arrived as of yet.
I cropped out the rest of his body due to the solar flare that ruined the rest of the shot. I salvaged what I could, realizing that this is one I probably won't be able to sell.
While trekking around in the outdoors, I make a point of wearing red so that hunters see me. However, I also try to walk quietly and stick to areas where the brush is thick so I can view animals at a closer distance. Despite the red, my actions could make me a target for hunters who cross the line, the ones who shoot at moving branches without taking a closer look. Fortunately the hunters I know are law-abiding, and not only do they make certain that the animal they are after is legal, most will not knowingly shoot a doe that has a youngster to take care of.
From what I'm told, this fellow is too young to hunt.

No comments: