Friday, November 16, 2007

Nubster


This spring fawn was with a small herd of deer that frequent a lake I often go to. I named him Nubster because I saw the nubs on his head indicating his gender.
Between this young male and myself there were two barriers: a highway and high fence. His mother seemed wary of me and my intentions, and although I had my dog with me, she paid him no mind. The tripod captured her attention; I wondered if she thought it might be something used to harm her or her offspring and for that reason, I kept my distance.
Nubster ate the grass on the hillside never straying too far from his mother. In the small herd, there was a one-pointer that had a nasty attitude. He lobbed his head at some of the others in his herd, picked on Nubster, and then, I think, Nubster's mom. Perhaps it was his own mother as well? Regardless, the doe snorted at him, then gave him a swift kick. The trouble maker looked up at the sound of my laughter, snorted, and then lobbed his head at me. I refused to acknowledge his challenge.

No comments: