Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Is it safe yet


Bandit, like me, noticed the red-tail hawk flying above and scurried for cover. The hawk was flying low looking for a meal and while most squirrels scampered up trees, Bandit chose to hide behind one. I noticed a few things he has in common with humans: as he waited for the danger to pass, he wrung his paws, much like we wring our hands. He went completely still, going into fight/flight response, and while hidden, he kept peeking around to make sure the danger stayed away from him.His breathing became very shallow, and although his tail didn't twitch any more than his whiskers, I did see his small body tremble with fear.Even after the hawk left, Bandit stayed behind the tree for several minutes after, as if to make sure it was really safe for him to venture into the open.I only took a few photos because I didn't want to frighten him anymore - though I would've taken the shot had the hawk swooped down. However, I must admit, I'm really starting to love this audacious bandit.The sun was peeking out from behind some clouds which accounts for the lighting. My focus was on him, so the tree he hid behind became soft and blended into the background. I wonder now if I should've focused on the scene in front of me, making the tree sharp. Something, I suppose, I'll think about next time.Happily, Bandit still is around to beg, steal, and pitch fits.

No comments: