Thursday, June 5, 2008

Medicare and your opinion




As a person on disability, I believed that Medicare was far better than Medicaid, that I'd have more options, better service, and that doctors would be more willing to see me. How wrong I was.


Very few people know that I take medication on a daily basis; for seven years I've been stable. Night terrors decreased, depression wasn't so intense, and I even gained the courage to go back to school, earning both an undergraduate and a graduate degree. Sounds great, right?


There's a problem when a person has been disabled for a number of years. Now I'm overqualified for some jobs and lack experience on others. No problem, I'll just deal with them.


I planned on issues with starting a new business, but recently I went from SSI to SS. That meant my insurance changed; suddenly, I can't see the doctor who prescribes my maintenence medication, nobody else is taking new clients, and even my own personal medical doctor is reluctanct to give me the prescriptions that help me remain stable. Now I hear they want to increase premiums when services are already bad. How does increasing premiums help those who need medical attention?


What does one do when medication makes the difference between living among a normal society versus not being able to cope around other people? Medications are harder to get, being seen by a doctor is more difficult, and last, I've noticed a stigma attached when I hand over my insurance card. I'm willing to bet that receptionists aren't aware of the frown they wear when handed such cards.


Medical care is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain, and many, like me, have managed to keep it a secret that I need antidepressents or anti-anxiety medication - or even medication for night terrors. Some how, it doesn't come up in every day conversation...


I know promises are being made for the next election, but I'm tired or rhetoric...I want answers, solutions, or at least knowing that more than words are being said - let's have those promises put into action. I have since found out that some elderly have died because they couldn't afford medication - add that to the gas prices, and something has to give. What is the solution...actually, taking this to a new level, what is your take on this? If you had the power, what would you suggest???

No comments: